Wednesday 27 August 2008

Without let or hindrance

For the first time in my 'Indonesian' life, today I was forced to do the 'Singapore Visa Run'. Up to now, more recently with help from friends, I've managed to arrange longer term visas. In fact on two separate occasions, I managed to obtain a permanent stay permit (KITAP). But only in Indonesia would a 'permanent' permit be only valid for five years!

Anyway, my luck ran out, and today my visa expired. Since I'm going to the ASHM meeting in Perth next month, and after a short period back in Indonesia, will be taking a couple of weeks leave in Blighty (UK) over the Lebaran holiday, it made no sense to get a single-entry business visa. So, off to Singapore on the early morning Garuda flight, quick turn-round and return on the same plane - less than an hour in Changi airport.

The visa-on-arrival at Sukarno-Hatta was remarkably swift and efficient - I'd heard of 40 minute queues, but it seemed only three people on my flight needed visas. I was scared the officer would look at my passport, indicating residence in Indonesia since it was issued in 2004, but he didn't seem to care. He even stuck the now standard full-page visa sticker on a less-than-empty page towards the front of the passport - with the price passports are now, we must make them last!

The whole thing took only eight hours from home to office via Singapore. But it didn't leave much change out of US$300!

Not a very exciting adventure. But then, sometimes I prefer it that way.

Babé

No comments: