Saturday 6 September 2008

Evil communications corrupt...

The Telkomsel (national mobile telephone operator) Internet connection here in Kupang is going from bad to worse. Today it has been almost impossible to use my mobile even for calls. Most of the time, there has been no service; it comes on for a minute or so, then drops again. The SMS connection has been down for most of the day.

At lunch time, I needed to check my bank account. I had just managed to enter my password, get that accepted, and click the Account Info button, when the Internet connection dropped. There's been no service since then, It's now 9 p.m. and we're still getting no service. I tried complaining, but all I got was thanks for informing them of the problem! As if they didn't know! Or at least they SHOULD know that their service is dreadful. The reality (as I should accept) is that they really don't care!

Perhaps I should be counting my blessings. We've now got so used to being able to communicate. But not so long ago, we thanked God for even a fixed telephone connection and the ability to get through. The system (such as it was) was so overloaded that, even if you could get a connection to the exchange, it was unlikely you could get a line to whoever you were calling. We used to employ telephone diallers, whose only job was to dial the number again and again until finally they got through. And hope you weren't on the toilet then!

Oh well! Adventures! Lord knows when (or how) I'll get this posted.

Babé

No comments: